Friday, June 29, 2007

And now the waiting is over.

As predicted earlier this week, my 'thanks but not thanks' email for the BBC Writers' Academy while I was having a catch-up meeting with a script editor from the BBC. It's funny, we were discussing the academy during the meeting. I said if I had been given the task of informing the hundreds of unsuccessful applicants, I'd switch my phone to voicemail at 4.59pm on Friday, hit send on the mass 'thanks but no thanks' email and run from the building as fast as possible.

Why? Because there will be applicants who can't accept they haven't made the cut this time and will want individual feedback, something that's simply impractical when there are so many people involved. 'Thanks but no thanks' is all the reply anyone needs in this sort of situation. You didn't make the cut. No point worrying about it, no point chasing a train that's already left. Move on.

Guess what time my 'thanks but no thanks' email arrived? 5.12pm.

3 comments:

Lucy V said...

So we have YOU TO BLAME FOR HAVING TO WAIT THIS LONG?!?

You die, Bishop!!!

Really, bad luck. We must all get together and have a rejection party. I'm serious.

missread said...

Oh dear, I'm really sorry. I thought you had a great chance, you certainly had the knowledge, drive and talent. Will you try again next year?

Bad luck x

potdoll said...

sorry to hear that mate. good you've got all that other paid work though!