Here's week 4 of an unpublished Dredd story I wrote for the Daily Star newspaper strip. Is this plot advancement I see before me? No? Thought not...
DAILY STAR DREDD: The Blackwood Incident • Week Four
1. Dredd is off his bike and training his gun on Coster, Mort to one side.
JUDGE DREDD IS IN 1998 TO RECOVER AN UNSTABLE TELEPORTER BEFORE IT CAUSES A TIME IMPLOSION!
HOW DID YOU FIND ME?
2. Dredd points at the prototype globe at Coster's side.
YOUR PROTOTYPE IS HIGHLY UNSTABLE, IT'S LEAKING RADIATION. I JUST TRACKED THAT.
I DON'T BELIEVE YOU! IT WORKS PERFECTLY!
3. Just Dredd, even more grim-faced than usual if that's possible.
COSTER, RE-ACTIVATE THAT DEVICE AND YOU'LL DIE, ALONG WITH EVERYONE ELSE WITHIN THREE MILES!
1. Coster holds the prototype up in his hands, as a shield from Dredd.
IF THIS PROTOTYPE IS UNSTABLE DREDD, YOU CAN'T SHOOT ME IN CASE YOU DAMAGE THE DEVICE.
NOW WHO'S IN CHARGE OF THE SITUATION?
2. Dredd crouches, putting his Lawgiver back in his boot holster.
I GUESS YOU ARE, PUNK!
3. Dredd dives forward, tackling Coster rugby style. The stolen prototype falls to one side from Coster's hands.
BUT I'M JUDGE DREDD AND I AM THE LAW!
1. Dredd and Coster are on the ground, tussling with each other.
I HAVEN'T GOT TIME FOR THIS, COSTER!
THAT TELEPORTER YOU STOLE WILL SELF DESTRUCT IN LESS THAN 30 MINUTES!
2. Mortimer picks up the discarded prototype, unwittingly activating it.
WHAT IS THIS THING?
3. Mortimer fades out. Dredd reaches out towards him, shouting.
NO, DON'T ACTIVATE IT!
1. Reverse angle of the previous panel, seen over Mort's shoulder.
"ONE MINUTE I WAS IN 1998 WATCHING THE TWO GUYS FROM THE FUTURE FIGHTING..."
2. Just a ghost image of Mortimer as he teleports through time.
"...THEN I WAS SURROUNDED BY WHITE LIGHT."
3. Mortimer still a ghost image as he re-appears, now in the Blackwood Research Station. Prof. Coster reacts in the foreground.
SOMEBODY'S 'PORTING IN - IT COULD BE DREDD!
1. Mortimer is now fully reformed, but in the futuristic laboratory of the Blackwood Research Institute, circa 2120 AD. Prof Coster is shocked.
"SUDDENLY, I WAS IN THIS STRANGE LABORATORY."
WHO ARE YOU? WHERE'S JUDGE DREDD?
2. Mortimer tries to explain, still grasping the prototype in his hands.
HE'S IN 1998, FIGHTING THAT WEIRD FELLA FROM THE FUTURE.
MY NAME'S VINCENT MORTIMER. WHERE AM I?
3. Coster points at the prototype. Mortimer's turn to be shocked.
YOU'RE IN THE YEAR 2120 AND YOU'RE HOLDING A TIME BOMB!
1. Coster examines the prototype, watched by Mortimer.
AMAZING! THE PROTOTYPE SHOULD HAVE IMPLODED WHEN YOU TELEPORTED FROM 1998 TO 2120 AD!
GOOD THING FOR ME IT DIDN'T!
2. Coster reaches a horrifying realisation.
YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND! THAT MEANS THE DEVICE I GAVE JUDGE DREDD IS THE UNSTABLE PROTOTYPE...
3. She grabs the bewildered Mortimer by his shoulders.
IN LESS THAN 20 MINUTES IT WILL CAUSE A MASSIVE TIME IMPLOSION THAT DESTROYS ALL OF HISTORY!
MR MORTIMER, YOU'VE GOT TO GO BACK TO 1998 AND SAVE ETERNITY!