Monday, November 13, 2006

Dylan Thomas, the science fiction years

Some genius has combined the best known work of Welsh poet Dylan Thomas with the latest effort from the Doctor Who production office in Cardiff. The result is Under Torchwood, a work of satirical genius. Here's a brief extract...

SECOND VOICE
Torchwood agent Gwen Cooper, the viewers' proxy.

FIRST VOICE
Plumply pop-eyed, gap-toothed and beyond her fringe, she tiptoes around her flat in the dark, trying not to awaken her boyfriend Barry Backstory, who is dreaming of future episodes where he gets a bigger part.

BARRY BACKSTORY'S DREAM
I'm telling you, Gwen, I have to know who you want: me, or Captain Jack, or several of the others.

GWEN IN BARRY BACKSTORY'S DREAM
Don't make me choose.

FIRST VOICE
Non-dream Gwen opens the door of her flat, where she finds

SECOND VOICE
Captain Jack,

CAPTAIN JACK
Hi. I'm Captain Jack Harkness.

SECOND VOICE
accompanied by

TORCHWOOD AGENT 1
Toshiko Sato. I'm an all-new kind of female sci-fi character for the twenty-first century. I can give computers insoluble equations in Algol.

TORCHWOOD AGENT 2
Doctor Owen Harper. I'm a weasel-faced would-be rapist and self-described twat. By dint of great effort, I have made myself even less sympathetic and more unlikeable than the other characters.

SECOND VOICE
and

TORCHWOOD AGENT 3 [plaintively]
Ianto Jones. I've got a Cyberlady in my wardrobe.

CAPTAIN JACK
Gwen, you've got to come quickly. It's the Rift.

GWEN
What is the Rift?

FIRST VOICE
The Rift is a kind of hellmouth that is sucking on a transcendental, transdimensional gobstopper. It is a double-egg MacGuffin served with large flies. It is

SECOND VOICE
an easy way for lazy writers to generate indulgence-straining plots, without ever troubling to think up anything new, or plausible, or to know or look up any science.

RUSSELL T DAVIES
Horizon doesn't bother. Why should we?

SECOND VOICE
Point.

No comments: