Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Gordon Brown, texture like sun

In my head the Stranglers' biggest hit single, Golden Brown, always sounds like they're singing about Britain's current Chancellor of the Exchequer. According to Wikipedia, however: the band claimed the song's lyrics were akin to an aural Rorschach test and people only heard in it what they wanted to hear, although this did not prevent persistent allegations that the lyrics were about heroin. Nevertheless, I can't help substituting Gordon Brown's name whenever I hear this song. Come on, everybody, sing along with me...
Gordon Brown texture like sun
Lays me down with my mind he runs
Throughout the night
No need to fight
Never a frown with Gordon Brown

Every time just like the last
On his ship tied to the mast
To distant lands
Takes both my hands
Never a frown with Gordon Brown

4 comments:

Alex Wilcock said...

Back in - oh, dear, probably near-exactly ten years ago, that dates me - Rory Bremner did a version of Golden Brown in his Gordon Brown voice, but in a long black leather coat.

And your actual Stranglers on screen as his backing group.

Wonder if I still have it lurking on an old video somewhere?


PS Greatly enjoying your new Fiends strip... The original was one of the first bits of 2000AD I ever saw (he got the issue with the penultimate episode on holiday as just something to read, and it freaked both of us until we were old enough to track down back issues in big people's shops, years later), so I've always loved it. But - just eight pages at a time, with such a long gap between each issue? Fiendish ;-)

DAVID BISHOP said...

Glad you're enjoying Fiends. Shockingly, the Stalingrad story is only six pages an episode. It was originally going to be eight, but the Megazine's change in format saw that reduced to six. I've tried to write each episode as a little six-page, self contained story, like a Tardisode - but having them four weeks apart makes that tough.

Of course, the original Fiends often only have four pages an episode, but at least that was only seven days between episodes.

Anonymous said...

Lot of Gordon Brown parodies out there... try this one out:
http://www.badtrackrecords.co.uk/gordonbrown.html
I Like putting the boot into Bobby Zimmerframe as well!
Colin

Anonymous said...

"Biting his nails decentralising wales, never a frown with Gordon Brown"