Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Pushing Daisies creator to adapt The Lotus Caves?

Entertainment Weekly is reporting that Pushing Daisies creator Bryan Fuller is to adapt the John Christopher novel The Lotus Caves for the SyFy channel in America. I read the children's book when I was a boy and loved it, though other Christopher books like The Guardians and his more famous Tripods trilogy are [arguably] superior.

I'm guessing it's a TV movie, as there ain't a whole mess o' plot in The Lotus Caves - certainly not enough for a series without major augmentation. Curiously, Walden Media had already announced plans to release a film adaptation, written by Brian Klugman and Lee Sternthal and directed by Rpin Suwannath. Guess Syfy has trumped that, or the rights have changed hands.

2 comments:

Adaddinsane said...

Hmm ... The Lotus Caves, eh?

Always struck me as a bit of "ho-hum" story. I enjoyed reading it but, as you say, his other stuff was much better.

Considering how wonderfully surreal Pushing Daisies was, this seems a bit pedestrian.

Still, it could be great.

Niel Bushnell said...

Only read this recently, and while I enjoyed it I didn't this it was one of his best. For me that particular accolade has to go to Empty World, a beautifully chilling story about a plague that wipes out all adults.