Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Frank Quitely interview at WPBF 2010

Last Friday I had the chance to interview comics artist Frank Quitely at the West Port Book Festival in Edinburgh. Frank was the mystery guest for this year's WPBF, a young and funky festival. The event was held at a crammed second hand bookshop in an area nicknamed the Pubic Triangle because of its peculiar road layout and preponderance of lapdancing clubs]. Not a blue rinse in sight.

I was one of the first editors to commission Frank [a.k.a. Vincent Deighan] back in the early 90s, so we had plenty to talk about. The interview was more of a conversation as he enthused about his career to date, particularly his love of the Broons and his many collaborations with iconoclastic writer Grant Morrison. Always a gent, Frank stayed after to sketch and sign for the audience.

All in all, a lovely afternoon. You can listen to the whole thing via this podcast on the WPBF site, or your can see more of chrisdonia's photos from the event on this flickr set. Or to find out more about the West Port Book Festival, go here. Right, I'm off to the TV Writers' Debate in Leeds, an event hosted by the BBC writersroom. With luck I'll report back at the weekend. Onwards!

1 comment:

Rooney said...

I wish I'd know about this. I'll keep an ear to the ground for next year - hopefully Frank Quitely will make an appearance again.