Monday, February 15, 2010

A scene from the cutting room floor

When I was writing my episode of Doctors, the initial scene-by-scene ran to a massive 40 scenes - overkill for a half hour show. The final script cut that number to 35 scenes, but four of those didn't make the broadcast version. The fact they could be edited out so seamlessly proves they were surplus to requirement. Anyway, here's the script for one of my favourites...

EP199/SC9. INT. CAMPUS SURGERY. RECEPTION. DAY. 09:05

SIMON, KAREN, CHARLIE

[CHARLIE VENTURES IN. RECEPTION APPEARS EMPTY]

CHARLIE:
Hello? Anyone here?

[KAREN RISES FROM BEHIND THE DESK, CLUTCHING A STAPLER]

KAREN:
Doctor Bradfield? Wasn’t expecting you today.

CHARLIE:
I’m covering for Morticia. I mean, Lily. Dr Hassan.

KAREN:
Right.

CHARLIE:
She had an urgent forensic call-out.

[SIMON EMERGES FROM THE LARGE CONSULTING ROOM, HIS ATTENTION ON A MEDICAL JOURNAL]

SIMON:
Karen, is Lily in yet?

KAREN:
Not exactly.

[SIMON SEES CHARLIE. BOTH THEIR FACES FALL]

SIMON:
Oh. It’s just, there’s this journal article I wanted to show her.

CHARLIE:
Anything interesting?

SIMON:
Variations in degradation propensity among victims of necrotizing fasciitis.

KAREN:
That sounds… fascinating.

CHARLIE:
Not really my field of expertise.

SIMON:
Oh well.

[AWKWARD SILENCE]

CHARLIE:
Must say, I’m happy to find you here, Karen. Good to have a more mature woman behind the desk, for once.

KAREN:
Here, who you calling mature?

CHARLIE:
These flighty young things Julia employs are all very well, but they can take things the wrong way sometimes. (BEAT) Well, best get myself installed.

[CHARLIE RETREATS INTO THE SMALL CONSULTING ROOM.

KAREN AND SIMON EXCHANGE A LOOK: IT’S GOING TO BE A LONG DAY]

CUT TO:

No comments: