Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Wrapped up like a dooshin - roaner in the night

For years I've been perplexed by the lyrics of Blinded By the Light, a song made popular decades ago by Manfred Mann's Earth Band. [With a name like that they must be from the 70s. Or even the 60s, come to that.] To me it's always sounded like this: "Blinded by the light, wrapped up like a dooshin, in the roaner in the night". Utterly perplexing, yet kind of intriguing. What the hell is a dooshin, and why does it need to be wrapped up?

Thanks to the internet, I've just looked up the song words, hoping to discover more about the mysteries of noctural roaners. Apparently the real lyrics are somewhat more prosaic: "Blinded by the light, revved up like a deuce, another runner in the night." Well, at least the words are all real. Does it make any more sense than the scrambled mess my ears have been hearing all these years? No much, frankly. Nor do they answer my dooshin question.

Such is life, I guess. Let's move on. Got a lovely piece of good news yesterday. Won't bore you with the details, as they've of no great significance to most people. But it felt like another tiny step forward on my quest to become a TV drama writer. Grud, I even punched the air in triumph at reading the email. [Both fists, obviously. I'm not Bruce Springsteen.]

Should anyone be interested, I'm running a free workshop in Edinburgh this Thursday about writing for graphic novels. The event runs from 4-5.15pm at the Roxy Art House, 2 Roxburgh Place, Edinburgh EH8. No previous experience needed, just bring pens, paper and enthusiasm. Places are limited, so first come, first served. The workshop is part of the creative showcase for Edinburgh Napier University's School of Arts and Creative Industries.

Right, time for me to press on. Got a script to progress, another to read for a friend and waiting for feedback on a third project. Onwards!

1 comment:

Adaddinsane said...

I thought it was "wrapped" too - "wrapped up like a dude another runner in the night" Kind of made sense.

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manfred_Mann%27s_Earth_Band

If I was in Edinburgh on Thursday, I'd be there. Good luck.