Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Wonder Year meme

Over at Tyranny of the Blank Page, my old mate Pete Kempshall is contemplating what year of his life to date he'd most like to relive. Hmm, interesting question - and perfect fodder for a fresh meme: If you could go back to live in any one year from your lifetime, which one would you choose?

Well, 1993 is an obvious candidate for me. That was the year my first and second novels were published, fulfilling a life-long ambition to become an author. I also got married, and went back home to New Zealand for the first time since emigrating to the UK at the start of 1990. With all of that going on it's fair to say my editorial work suffered as a consequence, but I had other fish to fry. A good year.

In retrospect 2007 wasn't too shabby either. I completed my MA in screenwriting [with distinction], and was awarded the Napier University Medal. My short film script Danny's Toys won a first prize at the Page International Screenwriting Awards in Los Angeles. And my history of 2000 AD, Thrill-Power Overload, was finally published as a hardcover tome - the culmination of six years' research and writing. So 2007 was something of a high tide mark too.

I'm hoping 2009 will have its share of achievements and landmarks too, but we're only 28 days into the new year so who knows what the remaining 337 days will bring. Right now I'll plump for 1993, but claim the perogative to chance my mind. So, if you could go back to live in any one year from your lifetime, which one would you choose?

I hereby tag Michelle, Lucy, Potdoll, Laura and Jason.

2 comments:

Pete Kempshall said...

Ooh, I've never spawned a meme before.

potdoll said...

Yummy I do love a good old meme!