Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Applications open for SBT's mentoring project

In 2006 I was lucky enough to be a mentee with the Scottish Book Trust's mentoring project. For nine months I was guided and challenged by screenwriter Adrian Mead, learning a huge amount in the process. It made me a better writer, and for that I'm grateful. Now the SBT has opened applications for the next wave of mentoring. You can be a novelist, a poet, an aspiring screenwriter, an illustrator or striving to become one of these.

You don't have to pay for this great opportunity, and there are no application fees. Sounds too good to be true? It isn't. I can't recommend this project highly enough. to find out more, read all about it here and study the application guidelines here. I believe the deadline for applying is Monday September 8th this year, but best to check that with the book trust's writer development co-ordinator Caitrin Armstrong: caitrin.armstrong@scottishbooktrust.com

UPDATE: It's worth noting that you need to be resident in or working in Scotland to apply. And yes, mentee is an ugly word, but it's quicker than typing 'person being mentored' several times.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Mentee"? I really don't think that's a word. (And even if it is -- yuk.)

Unknown said...

Do you have to be Scottish or live in Scotland? presumably…