Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Script: Mirror in the Bathroom

Busy in Glasgow today, so here's a short script I wrote as a filming exercise for some undergraduates. Alas, technical problems plagued the shoot and I never got to see Tamsin and Sharon brought to life. Now they can live on here instead...

MIRROR IN THE BATHROOM

FADE IN: INT. A WOMEN’S BATHROOM AT A CLUB. NIGHT.

Distant dance music thumps a muffled, repetitive beat. Enter twenty-something TASMIN in a distinctive dress. She preens at a mirror while talking on a mobile.

TAMSIN
Miranda, darling! It’s Tamsin. How the devil are you? (beat) I’m at Zanzibar. Little brother’s introducing me to his fiance. (beat) Can’t wait to meet her! James says she’s something special.

Violent vomiting is heard from one of the cubicles.

TAMSIN
Ughhh! Someone’s regurgitating their fish supper. The trash Antoine lets in these days...

A toilet flushes.

TAMSIN
I’ll call you later. Ciao!

Thirty-something SHARON lurches from a cubicle. Her dress is identical to Tamsin, who’s dumbstruck by Sharon.

SHARON
Och, I shouldnae had that fifth Zambucca - not with battered cod.

Sharon examines her bloodshot eyes in the mirror.

SHARON
I’ve seen varicose veins look better!

Sharon notices the dumbstruck Tamsin.


SHARON
D'ye like my frock, hen? It's a present from my new beau.

TAMSIN
Impossible! My brother created this design exclusively for...

The full horror dawns on Tamsin’s face.

SHARON
See, I’m meeting Jimmy’s sister, and wanted to look my best. He says Tamsin’s a right stuck up coo!

Tasmin gasps, before flouncing out. Sharon smirks.

SHARON
Was it something I said, love?

FADE TO BLACK.

No comments: