Thursday, August 16, 2007

Wilma wows with festival feature

Back to work today after giving myself the luxury of a break yesterday. Had a trip to the dentist [one filling required, so back in October for that], got the battery in my watch replaced after six weeks without a functioning chronometer on my person, recharged the iPod - all those things you never get to do when writing hell for leather on a succession of deadlines.

Topped it off with a trip into Edinburgh where I collected my delegate's pass for the film festival. Hoping to fit a few festival events into the next ten days, alongside college work, paying work and life. As a delegate I got access to the Videotheque, where you can watch dozens of films and shorts from the festival at a time convenient to you.

I'll struggle to make most of the industry or festival screenings, so the Videotheque’s a useful resources. Watched My Life As a Bus Stop, the low budget feature by husband and wife Scottish guerrilla filmmakers, Duncan and Wilma Finnigan. Laugh out loud funny, My Life As a Bus Stop was quirky, moving in places and full of surreal moments. The film’s in competition at the festival, and its raw energy will definitely stand out from the pack.

Like me, Wilma is a second year part-time student on the MA screenwriting course at Screen Academy Scotland. There are seven or eight of us [getting everyone in the same room at once is never easy], all with different backgrounds, ambitions and styles. It’s great to see one of the group already breaking through, getting attention for their work and creativity. There’s a lot of talent among our group, it’ll be interesting to see who’s next to make a name for themselves.

Back to work for me today. Got a feature article to tweak and a Phantom script to write, both by end of play tomorrow. Onwards.

No comments: