Tuesday, July 31, 2007

No emergencies here, just some affirmation

This is blog posting 999, according to my Blogger dashboard. Nine hundred and ninety-nine different bits of blather by me in less than two years. Grud knows what I've found to type about, but I do love the sound of my own voice, even when it's just inside my head. Or coming out my fingers. You know what I mean, right? Right. You'll have to excuse the tone, I'm likely to be spouting fifth generation carbon copy Neil Simon dialogue for a while, as I'm learning a part for a Neil Simon play being staged locally in October. Should make for some interesting leakage when I sit down to write the finla project for my MA screenwriting course.

In other news, my script DANNY'S TOYS has made it to the semi-finals of the PAGE International Screenwriting Awards, in the Short Film category. [Fellow blogger Jackson Pillock of Pillock's Pad has also made the semi-finals in the Comedy category, so round for applause for him.] More than 3,400 scripts were submitted to the contest, split across ten categories. These were thinned out to the top 25% for the next stage. Now it's the semi-finals, with industry professionals choosing the top 25 scripts in each category. Happily, my short film script was among those picked from the throng.

On August 30 each category will be thinned out even further, with ten scripts chosen as finalists in each. The final selection happens mid-September, with the top three scripts in each category getting prizes and a single, overall winner taking away $10,000 and a fistful of gifts. Nice. I'm chuffed to have made the semi-finals, especially as the version of DANNY'S TOYS I submitted is an early draft with some rough corners that have since been smoothed out.

In truth, getting this far means nothing more than a pleasant moment of affirmation. It won't get me representation and it doesn't turn me into a better screenwriter overnight. But it's nice to have the pat on the back, and makes the prospect of a day sat staring at a computer screen that little bit less daunting. Speaking of which, it's past time I got back to work. Onwards and, hopefully, upwards!

9 comments:

Andy Phillips said...

Well put. For me, these contests are little bits and pieces to put on the CV as well. Not as good as professional credits, but...something.

Also, having had it place in both competitions tells me that BGF probably has broad enough appeal to be my feature calling card.

Good luck to Danny's Toys! Jason Arnopp got his feature optioned last year after making the Page finals.

missread said...

Hey, well done. I loved Danny's Toys, so that's good news. Like P says, something might come of it and it will be worth noting on your CV anyway.

I hope you have something exciting planned for your 1,000th post?

Lucy V said...

Nice one David, love that script.

Anonymous said...

well done!

Jason Arnopp said...

Congrats again sir. Here's to another 999 posts!

Piers said...

Gratz!

As they say on Azeroth.

potdoll said...

well done matey!

Paul Scoones said...

Congratulations from another fan of Danny's Toys!

Mandy Lee said...

Congrats!