Monday, February 26, 2007

2007 Oscar results

Martin Scorcese had a good night at the Oscars, finally getting the Academy Award he's deserved so many times in the past. I think The Departed is the only Best Picture nominee I managed to see and it left me underwhelmed, but at least it was better than The Gangs of New York, IMHO. When the nominations were announced back in January, I took a punt on whom I thought might win. My hit rate was not good, with only the most obvious choices matching up to reality. This year's winners [and my choices where I picked it wrong] were:

Picture - The Departed [I choose The Queen as a longshot]
Actor - Forest Whitaker, The Last King of Scotland
Actress - Helen Mirren, The Queen
Supporting Actor - Alan Arkin, Little Miss Sunshine [I went for Eddie Murphy]
Supporting Actress - Jennifer Hudson, Dreamgirls
Director - Martin Scorcese, The Departed [I went out on a limb with Stephen Frears for The Queen]
Original Screenplay - Michael Arndt, Little Miss Sunshine [another longshit with Peter Morgan for The Queen]
Adapted Screenplay - William Monahan, The Departed [I went with Todd Field and Tom Perrotta for Little Children]

UPDATE: Obviously, one of the categories above features an unfortunate error. It should read like this:
Original Screenplay - Michael Arndt, Little Miss Sunshine [another longshot with Peter Morgan for The Queen]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Original Screenplay - Michael Arndt, Little Miss Sunshine [another longshit with Peter Morgan for The Queen]"

David,

I LOOOVE the new categorisation for films introduced in your blog. Although I'm sure that, at some point in the past, "Heaven's Gate" would have won "best longshit" !!!!