Wednesday, December 27, 2006

My report card for 2006: final tallies

So, as part of my annual self-review process, what did I do this past year? I finished one novel - Fiends of the Eastern Front: Twilight of the Dead - and wrote two more: A Murder in Marienburg and Fiends of the Rising Sun. The former is a police procedural set in the fantasy world of Warhammer, while the latter is what marketing people call a brand extension. My Fiends of the Eastern Front trilogy of novels featured Rumanian vampyr fighting on the Eastern Front during WWII, inspired by an old 2000 AD series created by Gerry Finlay-Day and Carlos Ezquerra. The books proved enough of a success to make the publisher ask for more in the same vein [pun intended], ideally with American soldiers as the heroes. So, no prizes for guessing that Fiends of the Rising Sun pits US Marines, pilots, sailors and soldiers against Japanese vampyr.

What else did I write in 2006? Five scripts for The Phantom, three of those based on plots supplied by another writer. Several text features for the Judge Dredd Megazine. Six episodes of a Fiends comic serial, also for the mighty Meg. My first radio play, broadcast during Women's Hour in June. I turned my articles about the history of 2000 AD into a massive tome to be published in 2007. Plus there was all my work for college, the mentoring project, the radio writers' lab, the TAPS script editing for TV course and various other, non-paying endeavours. I estimate I wrote about 420,000 words for publication or broadcast in 2006 - not as much as my half million words in 2005, but the MA and other long-term goal pursuits crunched my time.

The new year lurks like a big lurky thing, only a few days in our collective futures. It's traditional to come up with some resolutions of things you'd like to achieve in the next twelve months. Will need to give that some thought - I'll get back to you tomorrow. In the meantime, here's an unlikely but fun moment from the film Crossroads as Ralph "The Katate Kid" Macchio irks his tutor at Julliard...

No comments: