Sunday, December 24, 2006

Lesser spotter From Script to Screen student

So I went in to college on Friday for the last session of the year. The weekly Script Development Workshop module had been called off in the afternoon due to a bent pitch [old joke for you The Day Today fans], and the impending festive frolics meant a high degree of truancy was likely for the Friday morning session. I think there's meant to be between 20 and 30 in the class - six of us turned up on Friday. Having played hooky the previous Friday to work on my 18th novel [and having finished the first draft on Thursday - flippin' hooray], I missed the giving back of our marks for our first pieces of assessed work. So, what were the scores on the doors?

On the From Script to Screen module, we had to chose a sequence from a film adapted from a novel or play. An exhaustive shot analysis of our sequence was required, along with a 2000 word essay discussing how the sequence differed from source to adaptation and what effect this had upon meaning. I did the diner sequence from A History of Violence and thought I made a decent fist of it, but nothing spectacular. Two thousand words doesn't allow a vast amount of depth of debate, unless you're writing haiku. So it was a pleasant surprise when I got a D1 for my efforts.

There are three main categories of mark and five sub-categories within each of them. You can get F, P or D - fail, pass or distinction. A 5 indicates you're at the top of that category, a 1 indicates you're just within that category. So my D1 indicates an essay and shot analysis deemed worthy of distinction - just. I was expecting a P, so getting a D1 was a happy event.

For the Script Development Workshop, we had to write a treatment for the script we wish to write. I did Danny's Toys, a long-cherished project of mie, and got some very good comments along with a D1. All in all, a very satisfactory pair of results for this stage of first trimester - especially considering I missed half the sessions due to taking part in TAPS script editing, the radio drama lab and stuff.

No comments: