Friday, August 04, 2006

La ballon rouge [aka The Red Balloon]

When I was growing up, we had a big, hardback picture book called The Red Balloon that told the story of the film, illustrated with remarkable stills. The story always broke my heart a little as a kid and, like everyone who's ever been lonely in their life at some time, I could empathise with the boy whose best friend is a balloon. So when the bullies attack the balloon...

Anyway, I recently found a copy of the book [only softcover, sadly] and had to buy it. A quick surf of the interweb and I discovered three startling facts: it's 50 years since The Red Balloon was first released. The 34-minute film had no dialogue, only music, sound effects and ambient noise. Most remarkable of all, it won the Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay that year [beating Ealing comedy classic The Ladykillers, among others].

Who says you need great dialogue to write a great screenplay?

2 comments:

Colin Wilson said...

Hell, I can remember seeing that film when I was a kid! I never knew that it won an Oscar....

colin

Steve Reed said...

LOVED this movie as a child. I can remember seeing it on TV in the early '70s. Or maybe we watched it in school...anyway, definitely memorable!