Wednesday, February 08, 2006

The Back to School Mystery

This week marks the start of trimester 2 at Napier University's MA Screenwriting course. Theoretically, that means we all turn up tomorrow and see what treats the tutors have lined up for us. In reality, I'm not sure where we're meant to be going. That's not a metaphysical statement, by the way. So far, the sole picee of information I've found about our first day back was buried in the online calendar. Apparently we're to meet in room F11 at the Merchiston campus. As to where room F11 might be, well, I guess that's for us to find out. Perhaps it's some covert initiative test. We spent most of last trimester [why can't they just call it term, I'm not having a baby] in a building that was to be gutted once that session was over.

Being only a part-timer on the MA [and yes, part-timer does feel a lot like being a second class citizen at times], I'm only required at college one day a week when we're in session. Two new modules have appeared on my WebCT account, the means by which the university 'facilitates online learning'. [Jargon - don't you just hate it?] Looks like we're tackling Writing for Interactive Entertainment [I guess that means videogames] and the part-timers get their first taste of a Script Development Workshop. The full-timers had their first Script Development Workshop last trimester, which leaves me wondering that'll be made to work - do they segregate us from the full-timers or find some more elegant solution? I guess we'll find out tomorrow, assuming I ever find out where room F11 is...

UPDATE: D'uh! Having read the calendar posting more closely, I realised the message to attend F11 was for the production students, not the screenwriters. According to the office at the School of Design And Media Arts [DAMA], the screenwriters are meant to gather at G29. Obviously, I have no idea where that is either, but I'm sure I'll have fun finding it...

No comments: